Search This Blog

Wednesday, April 1, 2009

Idol Rant 4.1.09


Am I the only one out there that thought this week was a complete bust on Idol? The bad far outweighed the good last night on iTunes Download night to the point that I couldn't wait for it to end. The judges found plenty to love, though, so I must be losing my hearing in my old age. Stupid, pimping judges. Over the past few seasons there has been much conversation about the "decline" of Idol even though they were able to produce stars from each season. I don't see much hope for producing a star from this season. Those Adam fans out there (I know deluded people think that he has what it takes to be a star) were probably Blake Lewis fans too and we all know the Blake fans couldn't even be bothered to buy a copy of his debut release and he has already been dropped by his label. I had a Best of Season 7 cd of performance downloads for the contestants last year but there haven't been enough good performances this year to even bother. This may be the season that kills Idol or, at least, makes me stop watching.

I am not using the traditional format this week because at least six of the nine contestants would deserve to go under "The Worst". I am just going to grade the Idols in the order that they performed.

Anoop - "Caught Up"/Usher
Did I actually ask for a more contemporary theme for Anoop? I wish now that I hadn't. Anoop totally let me down. Usher? Really? Anoop, if you want to be an R&B singer then there are much better artists that you could have picked. It is probably not a good idea to pick someone who is known as well or better for their dancing ability than their vocal prowess. I hope this doesn't get him kicked off but he will definitely see the bottom 3.
Grade: C

Megan - "Turn Your Lights Down Low"/Bob Marley
Anoop should thank God for Megan and hope that the VFTWorsters are all suffering from broken dialing fingers. She was her usual bad dancing, worse singing self. She will definitely be in the bottom (right?).
Grade: F

Go Danny Go - "What Hurts The Most"/Rascal Flatts
What really hurts the most is hearing the judges praise Danny after he bleats and screams his way through the song to the point that there are quite a few words where his mouth is moving but there is just nothing coming out. Now, I know he can't really help it if he is losing his voice but the judges pretended that they didn't even notice. The acoustics in that auditorium must really be something. I am sure that he will be the top contestant again this week in votes since he will not only get the sympathy votes over the wife but now grandpa has passed as well.
Grade: C-

Allison - "Don't Speak"/No Doubt
The song started off well and playing the guitar was cool but then she ditched the guitar and it went a little south. I did find it interesting that the judges called her for "shouting" the song but didn't call out their faves Adam, Danny and Lil for the exact same thing. Also, the judges shouldn't pick on Allison for her choice of outfit. It looked awfully similar to what Paula had on. Despite the ending of the song, Allison sang it better live than Gwen Stafani ever has.
Grade: B

Scott - "Just The Way You Are"/Billy Joel
This may have been his "best performance so far" but is that really saying anything? This was more of the same old boring junk. Scott seems like a nice guy but I can't wait for him to go.
Grade: D

Matt - "You Found Me"/The Fray
I liked this performance. It wasn't his best of the season but I prefer it when he goes a little rock and roll and abandons the falsetto. Performing in the crowd was cool. I didn't get why the judges told him that he needs to decide what type of artist he wants to be (either R&B or Rock) and stick with it. The producers are picking the themes and since that changes every week it would seem to me that he would need the ability to change it up every week as well. Grade: B

Lil - "I Surrender"/Celine Dion
Lil was shouting at us in desperation and wondering how in the world she got into this mess when she started off as a judge favorite. Lil can sing better than I can but I just don't think she has what it takes for this show. She is a one trick pony (Mary J) and whenever she steps out of those confines it is just not very good. By the way, judges, she can't sing Mary J Blige every week or you will crucify her for that and I will have to start watching her performances in mute. Grade: C-

Freakshow - "Play That Funky Music"/White Cherry
Screech was back with Danny Zucko hair. Over the top shrill notes with odd prancing and air thrusts. The judges look primed to get what they want with an Adam win though they may want to be careful what they wish for (see Blake Lewis reference above).
Grade: C

Kris - "Ain't No Sunshine"/Bill Withers
This was the best of the night. I liked the updated arrangement. Grade: A-

Should Go:
Megan or Scott

Will Go:
Megan or Scott

DialIdol Results
Safe: Everyone except...
Bottom 3 Danger: (in order from most to least votes): Scott, Matt, Anoop, Allison and Megan. Please let it be Megan.

No comments:

Post a Comment