Search This Blog

Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Season 10 - Top 6: Songs of Carole King

Another week, another dated theme.  At least we got a new mentor this week and Will.i.am was nowhere to be seen. :)  The disturbing thing about that is that the mentor was Babyface and he now has gray hair.  Geez, I am old!  Also, what was up with Randy's sweater?  It was like a throwback to Grease gone bad.  Has he enrolled in Rydell High?  There is no reason for people that make that much money to look so ridiculous on television.  The judges must have attended school this week to learn their lines for critiquing each of the contestants as that is the only thing that makes who got positive comments and who got negative comments make sense.  Not sure what the agenda was but it was grating on my nerves.

Jacob - "Not My Baby":    It doesn't matter what I think of Jacob's singing because the judges are guaranteed to love it no matter what.  Steven mentioned that the strutting part of his performance is what has been missing to this point.  I thought the dancing was ridiculous and did not help the performance at all.  He should never do it again.  Ever.  He should also be in the bottom two with Casey.

Lauren - "Where You Lead":  I don't really care for the song but I thought that Lauren did a decent job with it and hit the notes.  It was a playful performance but I don't know if it really showed us anything new from her.  As an aside, I am not sure if the show or her mother is responsible for the Tammy Faye lashes but they need to go away immediately.

Casey and Haley - - "I Feel The Earth Move":  Haley was great by herself but the duet with Casey just did not work for me this time.  I thought Casey was horrid and brought the entire thing down with his out of tune grunting..

Scotty - "You've Got A Friend":  I was expecting disaster this week since I couldn't find a song from Carole King with "country" in the title.  I was thoroughly impressed though.  He showed us more range than he has in the competition so far.  He also reigned in the twitchy eyebrows until the very end of the song.  :)  This was not only his best performance of the season but the best of the night.  He didn't get proper credit for it from the majority of the judges, of course, but then that wasn't part of the script written for them, I guess.  Only Steven (gasp!) seemed to get how awesome this was.  It doesn't really matter though because Scotty was once again the first contestant to be marked "safe" on Dial Idol about 15 minutes after the show went off so he should continue to be fine.

James - "Will You Still Love Me Tomorrow?":  This should not have worked for James but it came close.  The opening verse was very impressive.  I, like Steven, wasn't overly fond of the "rock" start to the second verse but it grew on me and then he ruined it all by falling into his standard screeching and screaming to end the song.  There is potential there but I don't think that TPTB at Idol can help direct him to it.  They are ruining any talent that he does have by leading him down the wrong path.  Not the best of the night.

Lauren and Scotty - "Up on the Roof":  I thought that, individually, each of them did a great job with the song.  The "duet" portions were sometimes off and the harmonies were just not getting there.

Casey - "Hidy Ho":   This did nothing for me.  It was a perfect song for Casey to growl over but I found it boring and couldn't wait for it to end.  I also can't wait for him to go home.  Please let it be this week unless Jacob goes this week and then he can get out next week.

Haley - "Beautiful":  I thought Haley did another beautiful (no pun intended) job with her song this week.  This is two very solid performances from her in a row.  I know that it will do her no good as she will return to the bottom three regardless but I certainly hope that she makes it to, at least, the top 4.

Jacob and James - "I'm Into Something Good":  Whoever came up with this pairing on this song is truly warped.  The suits didn't do favors for either guy and this was one of the oddest things that I have ever seen on television.  Both guys will get a pass from me though since this was not fair to either of them.

The Best:  Scotty
The Worst:  Casey and Jacob
Should Go Home:  Casey
Will Go Home:  Casey or Jacob

No comments:

Post a Comment