Search This Blog

Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Season 10 - Top 7: Songs from the 21st century

In their quest to "mix it up" this week the producers brought back those who have been sent home so far from the Top 13 to take on "So What" from Pink.  I wish that they had cut this and some of the other fluff so that the show would have only run an hour instead.  It was only somewhat mind numbing before Paul joined in and helped them butcher it.  TPTB obviously had a talk with the judges and possibly even wrote down some critiques for them to use this week.  Unfortunately, they used up everything they had after the first performer and then went tongue bath all the way to the end of the show.

Scotty - "Swingin'":  He kind of cheated this week because this song is quite a bit older than the 21st century.  I just knew that he was going to bust out the Josh Turner so he surprised me.  I will agree that this was a very safe pick for Scotty that didn't demand too much.  It wasn't bad but it didn't blow me away either. 

James - "Uprising":  This was a shriek fest.  I get what he was trying to do and I will give him props for continually picking a song that hasn't been done on Idol before, however, I think this song hasn't been done before for a reason.  For the past few weeks, James has really struggled with the lower notes.  His combination of send-the-dogs-running-for-the-hills screeching and too low mumbling during the chorus was a drain on this one.  It was the most theatrical of the night but it was definitely not the best.  He should pay close attention to David Cook during the results show so that David can show him how it should be done.

Haley - "Rolling in the Deep":  I was very scared for Haley when she said that she had picked this song as I was not sure that she could handle Adele but she proved me wrong.  This was my favorite performance of the night and I hope that she will not make a visit to the bottom three this week because she is not deserving.

Jacob - "Dance with my Father":  The judges have got to stop comparing Jacob to Luther.  There is no comparison.  Luther had a beautiful rich, clear voice that Jacob just can't seem to find.  I am not saying that it is not in him somewhere.  We have seen scant traces of it over the past month and half but it is so buried in the trembling vibrato and over the tops shrieks and vocalizations that I am not sure if it can be found.  Shocker!  This was too Lusky Stank for me.

Casey - "Harder to Breathe":  I was ready for Casey to go home last week.  Heck, I was ready to put him on my list of people to go home this week before he even started to perform.  He changed my mind tonight.  I would like to point out that he sings much better than Adam Levine live.  We sat through that Maroon 5 disaster a few seasons ago and it's horrible refrains are still stuck in my brain.  As an aside, the are letting Adam Levine judge on The Voice which is some sort of sadistic joke because, without hearing one of their contestants sing, I can promise you that all of them sing better than Adam.  Casey's vocal was great but he still needs work on his stage presence.  The evil marching back and forth across the stage were just not doing it for me.

Stefano - "Closer":  They spent a lot of time telling us how good looking and super talented Stefano was during his taped package tonight.  Oh, and he is a "ladies man" too.  Whatever!  I hope the ladies man goes home this week.  Stefano is not nearly as good looking or as talented as he thinks that he is. I could not be more over him.

Lauren - "Born to Fly":  Of all the songs, I am not sure why Lauren picked this one.  I truly thought that this would be her week to shine and, with the right song, I think that she would have.  She did not do a bad job with the vocals but it seemed very karaoke to me and she didn't even try to hit any of the hard notes.  If Lauren wants to stick around to the end then she is going to need to step it up and start having solid performances week after week.  For some reason the teenage girls are keeping her out of the bottom so she needs to take advantage of that now.

Should Go Home:  I am begging for Stefano to go but I will not argue if they send home Jacob.  As of right now, DialIdol is showing Stefano, Casey and Haley (NO!) in the danger zone.  I will be hoping that Haley is saved.

No comments:

Post a Comment