Search This Blog

Wednesday, April 4, 2012

Season 11 - Top 8: Songs of the 80's

Tonight's show was a difficult thing for me.  The scripted pimping of contestants was at its most obvious this week and it was really wearing on my nerves.  I thought TPTB wanted a girl to win this year? You wouldn't know it based on how much pimping is reserved solely for the male contestants whether deserved or not.  I guess they are just minions that do what Uncle Nigel tells them to do.  I don't really expect any better from Randy or Jlo but Steven really disappoints me when he gives in and tows the company line.

DeAndre - "I Like It" (DeBarge):  DeAndre might like it but I hated it.  It checked off all the boxes on my list of things that get on my nerves.  Hair flipping.  Check.  God Awful Falsetto.  Check. Check.  That "dance" that wants to be a reggae groove but looks more like he is trying to work out a wedgie without using his hands.  Check.  I was ready for him to go last week and that has not changed.  To borrow a line from my friend, Keri...  DeAndre you Bracken SUCK! (no matter what JLo says). 

Elise - "I Want To Know What Love Is" (Foreigner):  This just did not do it for me.  I am really sad because I like her voice and any misstep will put her in danger of getting kicked off since she is already at a disadvantage as tweens are guaranteed not to vote for her.  Why did she have to pick this song?  When I was looking at the song spoilers and making guesses as to who would sing what, I had no idea that this even had the possibility of being so bad.  May the odds be ever in my favor and the voting gods will smile down upon me and somehow rig it so that DeAndre goes home instead of Elise.

P Squared - "That's All" (Genesis):  I love Phil Phil and his brother.  :)  This song was a little odd for me because I enjoyed it and yet was kind of scared by it at the same time.  I agreed with JLo that it started a little rough but it really improved after the first couple of lines.  Was I the only person that found the way Phil sang the line "be together til the end" a little disturbing?  Combined with the intense stalker glare, it made me think that the end would come with me being buried in the back yard.

Am I the only one that really dug the "Run To You" Nike commercial/mini movie?

Joshua - "If You Don't Know Me By Now" (Simply Red):  Taking it to church is starting to get old for me.  Technically there was nothing wrong with his singing but the set up prior to the performance and the choir just left a bad taste in my mouth that was multiplied by that hideous Hugh Hefner lounging coat that he was wearing.  The sad thing is that no one (judges or TPTB) has the sense to lead him in the right direction which would possibly actually help him have a successful career one day.

Jessica - "How Will I Know" (Whitney Houston):  This did absolutely nothing for me.  I know that the judges thought it was a "another powerhouse performance" but eh.  I only care for her when she sings a ballad.  When she is not hitting the glory notes, her voice is nothing spectacular.  The same thing happened a few weeks ago when she covered Miami Sound Machine.

Hollie - "What A Feeling" (Irene Cara):   I will admit that there were some wonky notes but I thought it was better than Jessica and I didn't understand why she was burned at the stake and got the "at least you looked good" treatment.  For some reason they have decided that she has got to go in order to save Jessica for the finale.  It would serve them right if their little plan backfired and Jessica and DeAndre were to go before Hollie.

Colton - "Time After Time" (Cyndi Lauper):  Colton was whiny during his duet which I attributed to him not being overly comfortable with covering Kenny Rogers.  I now wonder if he is sick or something.  He could not have been singing through his nose more.  I don't like Gary Le Vox of Rascal Flatts for this exact reason.  I haven't noticed it before so I assume that it will go away and that is why the judges didn't call him out on it this week.  If I hadn't been so distracted by the odd way his nasal blockage was making him pronounce the words then I actually might have enjoyed this.

Skylar - "Wind Beneath My Wings" (Bette Midler):  Good gracious!  Who is the powerhouse singer among the girls?  I think it is Miss Skylar Laine.  Not that I want to associate with JLo when I am currently so miffed at her but that gave me goosies.  She totally kicked Jessica's butt and then kicked her in the head while she was down.

Duets

Colton & Skylar - "Islands In The Stream":  Skylar makes a much better Dolly than Colton's attempt at Kenny.  He is just TOO whiny.  Not really sure who thought that this song would be a great idea.  Once they heard how bad Colton was at this they should have changed out the song.

Hollie & DeAndre - "I'm So Excited":  Upbeat girly songs are Hollie's forte but it didn't help DeAndre at all.  I don't blame the song.  I blame the singer.  Hollie was great!

Elise & P2 - "Stop Dragging My Heart Around":  Redemption!  I am so buying their version of this from iTunes.  It was awesome from start to finish.  They should quit Idol and start a duo.  I would buy their record.

Jessica & Joshua - "I Knew You Were Waiting For Me":  Could they have had more backup singers?  This was okay but a little over the top for me.

Who Should Go Home?  DEANDRE!!!  Please!  I can take no more.

Who Will Go Home?  I am so afraid that it will be Elise or Hollie but I will be praying that it is DeAndre.

No comments:

Post a Comment