Search This Blog

Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Season 10: Top 9 - R&R Hall of Fame

Another theme that we have seen before... :(.  Ryan let us know that Gwyn Stefani would be helping the contestants with their style this week and Will.i.am would be mentoring.  I am eternally glad that Gwen was only styling the contestants as she was horrible when she was a mentor during the Sanjaya season.  And what is up with Will.i.am being on the show again?  Does he own rights to this show or what?  We need a break and he needs to go back to his full time job with the Black Eyed Peas.

Jacob - "Man in the Mirror":  Jacob started off well but then he went all Lusky-Stank on me.  I think that Jacob has a wonderful voice but I need him to reign it in for me to be able to enjoy it.  He does have some interesting dance moves though...even Ryan called him out on them.  :) 

Haley - "Piece of My Heart":  Everyone could guess that Haley would choose Janis and she did not surprise.  I know that the judges love the growl but I am not a fan.  I think she sings better without it and proved that during parts of this song when she forgot to growl.  Unfortunately, the judges have convinced her that she should sing every song this way.  It was not a bad performance, but I am just saying...

Casey - "Have You Ever Seen The Rain?":  Okay, I admit it.  I love the wild, wacky, stand up bass playing Casey.  He has such a rich quality to his voice and seems to truly enjoy every minute that he is performing on stage.

Lauren - "Natural Woman":  You could definitely see Gwyn's influence on Lauren's style and that is not a positive.  I prefer her looking more like a country starlet than a rock and roll tramp.  She did a decent job with the song but I thought it was kind of boring.

James - "While My Guitar Gently Weeps":  James wanted to turn it down a notch this week.  I absolutely loved it until he went to the primal scream to end the song.  I don't know why he feels that he has to be an active participant in the Adam Lambert School of Screeching but I really wish that he would just be himself and cut that out.  He has a better voice than Lambert and doesn't need to go to the screech to try to impress us.  He just needs to sing.  If not for the scream, he would have made my best list for the week.

Scotty - "That's All Right Mama":  Scotty does Elvis and he does Elvis really well.  Dude!  He has got it down!  I don't know that anything can stop him from winning this season.  I can't image anything that will be able to trump him.  I find myself wondering each week what in the world he will be able to sing for that theme and he always finds something that fits him perfectly.  He is destined for stardom and the country music charts.

Pia - "River Deep, Mountain High":  Gwyn also had a strong influence on Pia's "look" this week.  Pia picked a more up tempo song this week and the vocal was more lively but her performance was still kind of a ballad.  She needs to learn how to move around on stage and not just move to her mark and hit the notes.

Stefano - "When A Man Loves A Woman":  The two lines that were in falsetto were absolutely horrid and put him at the bottom of the scoreboard with Jacob for me.  He did a better job of pronouncing his words than he usually does though he did drop the ends of many words but it was still just not very good to me.  I don't know what happened to Stefano.  I liked him early in the competition but now I am ready for him to get gone.

Paul - "Folsom Prison Blues":  Paul does Johnny Cash? What?!?  It was punk meets country and I dug it.  I think this should be enough to keep him out of the bottom three this week.  He is so much better when he sings in his full voice and drops the falsetto.

The Best
Scotty, of course.  I also really enjoyed Paul and Casey.

The Worst
Stefano, Jacob and Pia

Should Go Home
Stefano

Will Go Home
Haley

No comments:

Post a Comment