Search This Blog

Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Season 10: Top 11, Part 2 - Elton John

Elton John songs are sung every season but I don't remember Elton being done as an actual theme in the past handful of seasons.  There are lots of great songs so it is definitely sure to please.  I don't mean to beat a dead horse but I am still waiting on the new and inventive themes that we were promised.  On with the show...

Scotty - "Country Comfort":  Scotty is a mess and I mean that in the best possible way!  :)  That boy knows exactly what he is doing.  He hits all the right notes and gestures each week to keep the girls voting and to keep all of us in the fan club.  I loved it.

Naima - "I'm Still Standing":  Naima definitely made this her own and managed to do so while hitting all the notes.  I agree with the judges in that I am not completely sold with this as a reggae song but she did a much better job with this than she would have done if she had sung it as written. 

Paul - "Rocket Man":  Okay, Paul, I will admit that this is a hard sell for you since this is one of my favorite Elton songs. Unfortunately, I just didn't enjoy it.  It was just not consistent and actually too soft in places.  Paul mentioned that doing this song was disastrous for him 5 years ago and I don't think that it got any better.

Pia - "Don't Let The Sun Go Down On Me":  This was a little more lively than what Pia has done in the past.  She gave a solid vocal performance but I found myself remembering the performance of this song from season 2 and wishing that I was watching that instead.

Stefano - "Tiny Dancer":  Another of my favorite songs.  Stefano redeemed himself a little from last week.  There is still something odd in his phrasing but his singing was much improved.

Lauren - "Candle in the Wind":  I was dreading someone picking this song and I was worried when she said this was what she was going to sing.  I shouldn't have worried.  I thought she nailed this one.  I loved the country tone to the song.

James - "Saturday Night's All Right":  I really liked this up until the screaming at the end.  James always seems so relaxed on stage.  It is just like he is putting on a concert for us each week and I don't know that any Idol has ever set a piano on fire.  I loved the "Pepsi moment".

Thia - "Daniel":  I don't want to beat the poor girl up.  It may be her age but she is just not as polished as everyone else.  I am actually hoping that she is one of the contestants that is sent home this week.

Casey - "Your Song":  Casey did a really good job this week.  He reminded us why he was saved last week.  He is a lovable cut up that can actually sing.  I hope that people get out the vote for him this week so that the judges' save was not in vain.

Jacob - "Sorry Seems to be the Hardest Word":  I enjoyed the first half of the song but I thought the second half lived up to what Jimmy Iovine said could be his downfall which is that it went too over the top.  Jacob has a wonderful voice and he doesn't need to beat us over the head with it.

Haley - "Bennie and the Jets":  I don't think this was the right song for Haley.  I really didn't like it but the judges did not agree with me.  Only the votes will tell so I guess we will find out tomorrow night if I am right or if the judges are.

The Best
Scotty,  Lauren and Casey

The Worst
Thia, Paul and Haley

Going Home... Thia and Haley, I think.

No comments:

Post a Comment