Search This Blog

Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Season 10: Top 12 Guys

The competition has started! The night got off to a rocky start but ended strong. Hopefully this is a sign of a strong season to come…

Clint Jun Gamboa: “Superstitious” – I have heard worse but it was nowhere near perfect. He seemed a little manic. It has been done better in previous seasons.

Jovany Baretto: “I’ll Be” -- Nice abs but not a terribly strong singer. Other than a nice note near the end it was boring and forgettable.

Jordan Dorsey: “OMG” – Mr. You Are Not Talented Enough To Sing In My Group picked a song that features autotune which is designed to hide imperfect singing. It was all over the place and not good. As someone who was not a fan to start with, I hope that he will get the boot.

Tim Halperin: “Street Corner Symphony” -- I have liked Tim in his performances during the early rounds but this song was a complete misstep. It got a little better towards the end but the beginning and middle were a complete disaster. He obviously needs a piano to feel comfortable on stage.

Brett Loewenstern: “Light My Fire” – I don’t know if I can find the right words to express just what a hard to watch disaster this was. Good Lord! Jim Morrison is rolling in his grave.

James Durbin: “Another Thing Coming” -- Okay. I have voiced my opinion on this guy to anyone that will listen. I have referred to him as Screech v 2.o. Tonight, he proved me wrong. Shocker! I don’t know how the rest of the season will go but the boy can sing some Rob Halford and earned his way through to the next round.

Robbie Rosen: “Angels” -- Sarah McLachlan was a lofty goal and Robbie fell miles away from the mark. It sounded like someone was strangling a sick cat. Bad!

Scotty McCreery: “Letters From Home” -- Scotty was a little cheesy with the posing (and those eyebrows!) but it was a solid performance. He showed personality but did not act crazy which was a plus. I think he showed enough to make it through either with the votes or as a wild card.

Stefano Langone: “Just The Way You Are” – Despite one really bad high note, he gave a solid vocal performance and showed great presence. He got the votes of my friend Maria’s little girl, Elizabeth, so he was obviously a hit with the younger crowd. ;)

Paul McDonald: “Maggie May” – It was weird how much he sounded like Rod Stewart. It fit him perfectly. I am not sure how far this guy will be able to go in the competition but he should definitely make it through.

Jacob Lusk: “A House Is Not A Home" -- I am not a big fan of over singing and the use of a lot of runs so Jacob concerned me since he has been prone to that in the early rounds. He truly stunned me tonight because he was able to show amazing talent and control. He is the best singer in the bunch. He also reminds me of a male version of Jennifer Hudson because they both sing larger than life.

Casey Abrams: "I Put A Spell On You" – Casey was really good but he may have owned the song too well. He was starting to freak me out. It was like he was stalking and threatening the audience. That said, he definitely deserves to make it through.

Who Should and Will Go Through?
Jacob Lusk, Casey Abrams, Paul McDonald, James Durbin, Stefano Langone and Scotty McCreery

No comments:

Post a Comment