Search This Blog

Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Season 10: Top 11 - Motown

The executive producers of Idol spent the off season telling us that they were completely revamping the show.  Not only would there be a new judging panel but they were going to mix up the themes as well.  I give them a pass on the "Songs from the year they were born" theme because each year the contestants get younger and that lends itself to changing up the songs and bringing something new to the mix.  Motown is a different story.  I like songs from this era but forcing kids to sing something that was popular when their grandparents were in high school, does not bring anything new and exciting.  This is the one thing that has been holding back what has, to this point, been one of the better Idol seasons of all time.  Maybe they should let Jimmy Iovine pick the themes or instead of picking a genre of music use something like mood or a more general theme (solo female singers, girl groups, boy groups, etc) to give the contestants a chance to really pick something that will highlight "what kind of performer that they want to be".   I am not 100% sure what the answer is but something has got to give.  On another note, letting the contestants work with the performers to tweak the songs each week has really had a positive effect on the show each week (or there is just more talent this season than in seasons past).  There don't seem to be nearly as many bad performances as we would usually see each week in previous seasons. 

Casey - "I Heard It Through The Grapevine":  Casey tried to change it up and make it his own.  There were a couple of bad notes but it was good overall.  I do, however, prefer his hair in its natural wild state to the moussed smoothed down version that he was sporting tonight.

Thia - "Heatwave":  Her voice is just not that strong and there were lots of times that she seemed to get buried by the music.  She definitely flubbed the words at least once.  I thought that it was very pageant-like.  One of the weaker performances of the night.

Jacob - "You're All I Need":  Jacob took Jimmy's advice and trained to reign in a little of the church tonight.  It worked much better for me.  He did a really good job on this one without taking it over the top.  Much, much better than last week.

Lauren - "You Keep Me Hanging On":  Another strong week for Lauren.  She nailed the song and made it look easy while doing it.  She should definitely be safe.

Stefano - "Hello":  I usually like Stefano but he started off by saying that he had never heard of the song before which I kind of have a hard time believing since it has been done on the show before (very well  by Cookie).  Maybe I am just old and out of touch with the youth of today.  This was a mis-step for him.  I did not like his phrasing on the song and thought that he pronounced some of the words oddly in order to make them fit with what he was trying to do.  He should get a chance to redeem himself next week based on his previous performances and the fact that only young girls are voting so the girls will have to go first.

Haley - "You Really Got A Hold On Me":  It started rough and never really completely got on track.  She pulled it together in the middle but then she put in way too much of the growling.  I don't know that this was enough to save her from the fate that millions of little girls have in store for her this week.

Scotty - "For Once In My Life":  I was worried about Scotty when I saw the theme but he surprised me.  I shouldn't have been worried.  He showed a broader range this week by hitting higher notes that I wasn't sure he was capable of and keeping in those deep notes that he is known for.  I really think that he has a future in country music. 

Pia - "All In Love is Fair":  Another beautiful ballad by Pia.  She has a wonderful voice and certainly looks the part but, yet again, I just don't feel a connection from her when she sings.

Paul - "Tracks of My Tears":  Paul is much better with his guitar.  This was my favorite performance from him since the actual competition started.  He definitely needs the guitar to make him more comfortable and control the chicken foot.  :)

Naima - "Dancing in the Street":  This is not a difficult song to sing but Naima sang better on this song than she has in weeks.  I was worried about her longevity but the producers helped her find a way to incorporate the dancing with her singing and yet keep her from hitting those wonky notes.  She put together a complete performance and proved that, despite a couple of rough weeks, she should still be here.

James - "Living for the City":   James has such a strong presence on stage during his performances.  He makes it look effortless.  I am still not a huge fan of the high notes, but James seems to have a talent for only using them where they make sense which Adam Lambert was never able to do.  He should be a solid contender.

The Best
Jacob, Lauren, Scotty and Pia

The Worst
Thia, Stefano and Haley

Going Home
Based on the fact that she has been living in the bottom three -- Haley.  I would prefer it if Thia would go, though.

No comments:

Post a Comment