Search This Blog

Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Season 10: Top 13 - "Songs From Their Idols"

The first week of what I consider to be the real competition was a little drowsy due to song selection but it didn't seem like there were quite as many train wrecks as in previous years so we are off to a solid start.  Life without Simon has continued to be refreshing and I wanted to note a couple of improvements that I have seen so far.  They have yet to say that anyone sounded like they should be performing on a cruise ship and the judges are actually watching the contestants sing during their performance.  What a change!

Lauren Alaina -- "Any Man of Mine":  I am not sure if it was the song or the fact that she went first but it was a little boring and she seemed uncomfortable.  I agreed with the judges that it was a little lacking and that her voice is much stronger than this kind of song.  Lauren, honey, we are glad you had fun and all but the purpose of the show is to entertain the audience and you fell short this week.

Casey Abrams -- "With a Little Help from my Friends":  Casey is lovingly odd.  He found a lot more passion than Lauren.  I don't know that he actually brought anything new to the song but it was good and I like him.

Ashthon Jones -- "When You Tell Me That You Love Me":  Ashthon is a really pretty girl but her floaty arm movements grate on my nerves.  The singing was okay but it definitely didn't blow me away.  "Hey" Ashthon, we know who you are so stop greeting us at the end of each phrase in the song.  It is annoying.  Stop it immediately.

Paul McDonald -- "Come Pick Me Up":  This is not an Idol-type song and I thought it was a horrible mess.  It had no life to it at all.  I was bored and uncomfortable.  I am not really a fan of Ryan Adams music and this did not make me wish to give him another chance or steal his records.  I have like Paul through the earlier rounds so I hope that he will make it through but this might have been the end for him.

Pia Toscano -- "All By Myself":  Technically the singing is really good but for some reason I just have a disconnect from her.  She looks and sounds the part but there is just something missing.

James Durbin -- "Maybe I'm Amazed":  As much as I don't care for his personality, James has delivered two weeks in a row.  I don't care for the primal screams (you all know how I feel about Screech) but he held it to the parts of the song where it made sense so I actually liked it.

Haley Reinhart -- "Blue":  This was the best that Haley has done in the competition so far.  I am not going to say that it was terribly exciting but then it fit the ballad theme that everyone seems to be going for tonight.

Jacob Lusk -- "I Believe I Can Fly":  Jacob should have left R Kelly at home because he definitely hasn't been good enough to go to church.  Hello people!  Jacob has one of the best voices so he will hopefully be able to get enough votes to make it through to next week.

Thia Megia -- "Smile":  Thia has a pretty voice but she let the producers lead her astray with the poppy beat near the middle of the song.  It was much better in the beginning.

Stefano Langone -- "Lately":  Stefano brought much needed life to the show after all the ballads.  I actually enjoyed the peppy redo.  Not the beautiful singing that Stefano displayed during the wild card but it was good.

Karen Rodriguez -- "I Could Fall In Love":  Karen mentioned in the taped piece that she was going to add a Beyonce flair to the song but it seemed like a straightforward karaoke version to me.  Not a fan.

Scotty McCreery -- "The River":  Scotty certainly knows his wheelhouse.  He was a little drowned out by the music at the beginning but he pulled it together.  He doesn't have a wide range but as long as he can keep picking strong country songs he should go far.  Babylockthemdoors knows his skill set.  ;)

Naima Adedapo -- "Umbrella":  I will give Naima credit for trying to make it her own but she should have took a lesson from Ta-Tynisha last week and just left Rihanna alone.  Bad dancing, mediocre singing and reggae?  I didn't get it.

Top 3
Casey, James and Haley

Bottom 3
Karen, Naima and Paul.  I hope either Karen or Naima go home.

DialIdol Results
DialIdol hasn't had a chance to post any results yet.  Check out their site if you are interested in seeing who they think is safe at www.dialidol.com.

We are going to be subjected to a performance by Adam Freaking Lambert for the results show which I am not looking forward to.  To make up for it, David Cook, my favorite word nerd, is singing the going home song this year with his remake of "Don't You (Forget About Me)".  At least I have one thing to look forward to while waiting an hour to see who is going home.

No comments:

Post a Comment