Search This Blog

Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Season 10 - Top 12: Songs from the year they were born

This is the theme that I have started to dread because with each passing year more and more of the contestants were born after I graduated high school.  That is just depressing people... and not something that I want to dwell on.  Idol continued to bring things that we haven't seen in previous seasons which I applaud.  However, they need to make sure that they aren't over producing some of the contestants right off the show, as well.

Naima - 1984 - "What;s Love Got To Do With It?":  Naima attempted to bring Tina's hit into 2011 and I think it would have worked if the singing had been better.  Unfortunately, it wasn't and I didn't enjoy it.  I am glad that the judges finally called her out on the pitch issues.  I do want to give her props for not starting her performance with that little dance move that she has used for the past two weeks though.  I was starting to think that she couldn't start a performance without it.  I really liked Naima during the audition rounds be seems to have lost her spark since the competition part of the show kicked into high gear.  Hopefully she can get it back.

Paul - 1984 - "I Guess That's Why They Call It The Blues":  I need Paul to stop addressing the crowd right before he starts singing.  Not only is it annoying but it seems to throw him off because the first half of all his performances are generally not very good.  I could use less chicken foot as well.  Maybe if he cuts out both things then his singing will improve greatly.  I have definitely heard him do better during the audition rounds.  If he makes it through he should try sitting on a stool next week.

Thia - 1995 - "Colors of the Wind":  The theme from a sub par Disney movie, Thia?  Really?  There had to be a better song than this from 1995 though, as has already been discussed, I am too old and forgetful to name one right now.  The singing was okay but it was not very lively and I could...not...wait...for it to end.

James - 1989 - "I'll Be There For You":  James was right and this was a really good time in music.  Though I may be biased because this was when I was in my prime and rocking Garinger High School.  ;)  James brought out the big guns with Bon Jovi.  There were some notes that were off which is the first time that he has done that.  He does a really good job of putting enough of himself into each song to make it his own.  I am still not sold on him personally but I definitely think that he has possibilities as an Idol.

Haley - 1990 - "I'm Your Baby, Tonight":  Again, I think poor song selection was to blame for a strange almost desperate vocal performance.  There had to be a better song than this from 1990 sung by someone other than Whitney.  She was all over the place literally and figuratively.  The "red lipstick massacre" did provide a little comic relief to liven up the end of the performance.

Stefano - 1989 - "If You Don't Know Me By Now":  Too many runs.  I usually like Stefano but this was just okay for me.  The judges obviously think differently.  He made light of Milli Vanilli in his taped piece and they have an infamous place in music history but I think I would have preferred to hear him sing them, though I would have wanted "Blame it on the Rain" over "Girl, You know it's True".

Pia - 1988 - "Where Do Broken Hearts Go?":  When I heard that this is what Pia was going to sing my first thought was "here we go again with ballad number...".  Once she started singing and I got to hear Whitney - The Remix, I was begging for the standard ballad.  This was proof that despite what the "awesome" "super-talented" producers of this season think you can't make every song better by playing a dance track behind it.

Scotty - 1993 - "Can I Trust You With My Heart?":   Go Scotty!  I am so glad that Scotty is sticking with what he does best and not letting them change him and steer him away from country music.  I am not going to say that this was a really difficult song to sing but he nailed it with no bad notes which is the first time that happened tonight.

Karen - 1989 - "Love Will Lead You Back":  Karen seems to really want to be a diva that can belt out the big notes but she just doesn't have a strong enough voice for that.  She also seems to be raiding JLo's closet and she was really channeling her again tonight.  There were less wonky notes so she showed improvement but I am not sure that Karen knows what kind of singer she wants be yet.

Casey - 1991 - "Smells Like Teen Spirit":  Casey is the freaking man!  He is completely NOT AFRAID.  I agree with JLo that he was screaming some of the notes, however, I distinctly remember Kurt doing that as well.  That was kind of the point of song though I am sure that Jennifer was not a Nirvana fan no matter how much she wants us to believe that she was.

Lauren Alaina - 1994 - "I'm The Only One":  Lauren used the sexy flem that her bout with the flu provided to knock this one out of the park.  Definitely one of the best of the night.  I also want to mention that her Dad seems like an awesome man and father...and he made me cry.  ;)

Jacob - 1987 - "Alone":  Jacob has a really good voice and the beginning and end were good but the middle had a little too much "lusky stank" on it for me.

The Best
Casey, Scotty and Lauren

The Worst
Naima, Paul and Haley

No comments:

Post a Comment