Search This Blog

Wednesday, March 18, 2009

Idol Rant 3.18.09


Country week is always telling. It separates the good singers from bad and the talented from the mediocre. Grand Ole Opry week did not disappoint. There were truly bad performances and some absolute standouts. I don't know why I find it shocking that the producers, "Idol Artists", judges and half the free world continue to disrespect country music as if it is not a legitimate commercial music format but as something that only "bubbas" that ride tractors listen to. You would think that Idol would have more respect for something that they have made so much money off of thanks to Carrie Underwood. Who am I kidding? Country does just fine without them. Let them stay in the dark.

The Best

Anoop! - "Always On My Mind"
I admit that I was very worried about my boy this week. What in the world would he be able to find to sing that would fit him? Silly me. No need to worry. He has actual talent unlike some of the other hacks on this show. He proved to Simon and the disbelievers that he should still be in the competition. I hope that this is just the beginning of 2 1/2 months of stellar performances. Anoop!

Kris Allen - "To Make You Feel My Love"
Absolutely perfect though I could have lived without the last note. Why does he feel that he has to end each song with a falsetto? It is not needed. Please leave it at home next week. He is proof that of the judges manipulation. He has more talent than any of their favorites but he was unknown before the actual competition started because he was not a recipient of the "pimpin'" treatment. Once all the judges favorites are banished to obscurity by the voters (please), he should get at least as far as Chris Daughtry.

Matt Giraud - "So Small"
I was not aware that Carrie Underwood songs would be a hit with the fellas. Obviously I was wrong as this was the second song of hers that we heard this week. He also busted out the unnecessary falsetto to close his song. It was so good up to that point that I am not going to hold it against him though. He showed Go Danny Go how it is done. I am happy that my boys were the standouts this week. :)

The Worst

Adam 'Freakshow' Lambert - "Ring of Fire"
Where to start? He blatantly states that he will not be singing anything country. After all, he might loose 'cool' points with the 'cool' crowd and we can't have that. I am just being mean. He won't sing country because he is staying true to who he is as an "artist". Gag! Give me a break. This guy is so arrogant. We haven't seen it this bad since Constantine Maroulis. He even gave us the signature Constansuck wink with sneer/pout during the performance. If anyone out there is a fan, I have a challenge for you with the show next week: Keep your eyes closed during Adam's performance. I guarantee that you will not like what you hear. Try it with the "Ring of Fire" performance at
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i7Rcealqmng. Just because he looks the part doesn't mean that he is actually talented and just because you can perform vocal gymnastics doesn't mean that you should. There is no way that he would be able to sell millions of copies albums on which he screeches. Radio stations would go out of business if they put him on heavy rotation. His performance tonight was the strangest and most heinous thing to air in Idol history and he has had lots of competition. I would rather sit through Sanjaya every week than have to watch this shrieking poser. I am glad that Simon had the cajones to call him out this week. No one else did. Randy compared him to Nine Inch Nails. Randy, Trent Reznor would wipe the floor with this guy. Now we just need to figure out a way to let the little girls who keep voting for him know that he is really not that into them so that they will give up their phones and voting rights in protest. Mama's, please don't let your babies vote for Adam. I beg you.

The Rest

Michael Sarver - "Ain't Goin' Down Till the Sun Comes Up"
Michael deserved to be in The Worst this week based on his performance but I decided that no one deserves to get lumped in with Freakshow. That is just so not cool. I saw an interview with the Idol contestants where the anchor was asking each of the contestants what special skill or trick they could perform that the general public would not know about. Michael was not able to answer her because he was "saving his voice". For this? Really? Seriously? This is not the best Garth Brooks song. It was horrible when Josh Gracin did it on Idol during Season 2 and it was just as bad tonight. Boring and forgettable. I couldn't wait for it to end. I also couldn't wait for him to stop arguing with the judges. Dude, just go away quietly.

Allison Iraheta - "Blame it on Your Heart"
I understand why she picked this song. I just wish that she had chosen something else. She is still the best female singer left in the competition.

Lil Rounds - "Independence Day"
I was SHOCKED that she didn't sing "I Will Always Love You" and I give her credit for that. However, the verses had no melody whatsoever and she walked the line between singing and screaming during the chorus. Lil looked very vulnerable this week. There have been other contestants before her who were not fans of country that managed to show that they can sing anything (Fantasia). She shouldn't have let this sideline her. This was proof that perhaps the judges were too quick to crown her. It is a good thing for her that Michael and Megan are still in the competition.

Scott MacIntyre - "Wild Angels"
Why Martina McBride? This was rough. His falsetto is just. not. good. They did tame the Art Garfunkel hair a little this week. It is too bad that Scott can't sing as well as he plays the piano.

Alexis Grace - "Jolene"
I expected much more from a girl out of Memphis who seemed familiar with country music. It was all over the place and for the most part not very good at all. Simon is obviously not familiar with country music at all if he thinks that she sounded like a copycat of Dolly. Simon. Dolly was just on your show last year. I wouldn't think that she would be easy to forget. Alexis is not fit to shine Dolly's shoes.

Go Danny Go - "Jesus Take The Wheel"
Carrie Underwood is going to be on the show Wednesday night. She should walk across the stage after her performance and smack Danny so hard that his super matchy glasses break. This was bad and he botched the words though he didn't get called on it. Lucky for him the judges don't even listen to the music of former winners. He should get with Lil and thank God that Michael and Megan are still around. The verses were BAD and he shouted his way through the chorus. Despite what Kara thinks, in order to be an "artist" you have to be able to sing more than the chorus. If I had to sit through 1 1/2 minutes of Danny yelling the chorus each week along with the sounds that come from Freakshow, I would literally be deaf by the end of the season. Sometimes Kara shouldn't speak,

Megan Corkrey - "Walkin' After Midnight"
I know she was sick with the flu but you all know that she would have been just as bad regardless. I was eternally grateful when it ended.

Should Go
Adam Lambert

Will Go
Michael Sarver or Scott McIntyre

DialIdol Predictions
Safe: All the guys and Lil
Bottom 3: Megan, Allison and Alexis (Will the judges have to use their save this week, will they just let her go or will they do what is right and kick off one of the boys? I just don't think that they are going to let Alexis or Megan go. I am not sure that they support Allison as much as they should so she could be the sacrificial lamb.)

No comments:

Post a Comment