Search This Blog

Thursday, March 26, 2009

Idol Rant 3.26.09



There were lots of great songs during the Motown era but this theme week is always brutal because the contestants just can't live up to the originals. For the most part, this years crop of contestants were no different. I have been sick all week so I was a little crabby during the show and less lenient than usual.

The Best

Allison Iraheta - "Papa Was A Rolling Stone"
Allison finally did what I wanted this week. She has had a great voice all along but did not stand out in the crowd. She changed that this week. There was more soul in her performance and she sang the tar out of that song. Lil who? Allison proved what I knew all along which is that she is the strongest female left in the competition.

Anoop! - "Baby Baby"
Anoop gave the first performance of the evening that I enjoyed and he went fifth. He picked an extremely hard song that showed the control that he has over his voice. He does need to work on the stage performance aspect though. I just wish that they would pick a more contemporary theme so that he could sing "Buy You A Drank", as he does here (
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q_on7EOG8yk) with the UNC Clef Hangers, which is awesome.

The Worst

Michael Sarver - "Ain't Too Proud To Beg"
I ain't too proud to beg Michael to just withdraw from the competition and put us all out of our misery since he can't sing. And Michael, for the love of all that is holy, should STOP ARGUING WITH THE JUDGES too because it makes him look like a jerk.

Megan Corkrey - "For Once In My Life"
Crazy dancing. Check. Dress coordinated with tatoos. Check. Awkward stage performance. Check. Awful singing. Check. Yep, it's "Megan Joy". This was just as bad as I expected it to be. Please, VFTW, let her go. Pick someone new. She begged you to keep voting for her though, so I know that you won't.

Scott MacIntyre - "You Can't Hurry Love"
Scott told us that he wanted to take a risk this week. I don't think it gets any riskier than the Supremes and pink pants. Scott also mentioned that he is single right now. Sorry, Scott. I think you are going to stay that way for a while. He just needs to go. His performances are exactly the same each week. He should just sing the exact same song. I strongly disagreed with Randy and Simon. If I was forced to sit through "Reach Out and Touch" this week, I would have had to stab myself in the ears with pencils to end my suffering. Take Michael and Megan and just go.

The Rest

Matt Giraud - "Let's Get It On"
I like Matt a lot better behind the piano. I know that he has got to show the judges that he can be versatile but I just don't think that this was the week to try it. Once he stood up, I thought his singing was off. It wasn't really bad. Just not as good. I was surprised that the judges were really talking him up. Does this mean that they are about ready to throw Adam, Danny or Lil under the bus?

Kris Allen - "How Sweet It Is"
I just didn't get it this week. He was okay but nothing spectacular. What was with the numbers written on the shoulders of his shirt? They were very distracting. He looked like he may have escaped from prison. Simon told Kris that he needed more conceit in order to be a star. Is that why they love Adam so much? He has enough conceit for everyone.

Lil Rounds - "Heatwave"
Lil continued her descent from the pedestal this week. She looked the part (though the hair was a little over the top) but she just wasn't very good vocally. Yelling and singing are two different things, Lil. She is the judge favorite that will get thrown over second behind Alexis if she is not careful.

Adam 'Freakshow' Lambert - "Tracks Of My Tears"
I couldn't decide who he was trying to be. Danny Zucko (Sandy was in the audience)? Corky Collins from Hairspray? Or a combination of Zac Efron and the Jonas Brothers? I think maybe Danny after Sandy made him sell out and get a Corporate job so that he could support and take care of her in the manner that she was accustomed. Regardless it was Weird. This was the least annoying performance from him so far in my opinion. I could live without an entire song sung in the key of Mariah but then Adam doesn't take advice from me.

Go Danny Go - "Get Ready"
He didn't take Smokey's advice after they had just shown him saying that he would. That was a touch disrespectful and he was punished for it when Smokey cursed him with another not so great, borderline bad, performance. Danny also needs to work on his pronunciation. "Get Re-tay"? Really? I was re-tay for it to be over. Simon should have said that it was like bad karaoke. Because it was.

Should Go
Michael, Megan or Scott

Will Go
Michael or Scott

DialIdol Predictions
Safe: Everyone except...
Bottom 3: Scott, Megan and Michael. Can we just send them all home at once?

No comments:

Post a Comment