Search This Blog

Wednesday, May 2, 2007

Idol Rant 5.2.07

Like Jordin’s mother, I grew up on Bon Jovi. I attended my first concert in 1987 at what is now Cricket Arena and saw Bon Jovi perform. The love affair with what is now referred to as the “Hair Bands” of the 80’s began. I have not missed a single Bon Jovi show in Charlotte since (we are talking 20 years worth people). I am also a huge fan of Jon. That being said, I admit that I have a hard time hearing a song that I love (and I love them all) being changed to the point that it is almost unrecognizable. This will be reflected in my review of the show (sorry Laura).

The Best: Melinda. I know it may shock some of you that I picked her when I have not held back on criticizing almost everything about her but her singing voice to this point. I imagined that she would find a way to make the song that she sung sound R&B like Lakisha. I could not have been more wrong. She not only sang well as expected but she managed to hold true to the original while actually rocking and looking great. This made her my favorite this week.

The Rest:

Phil: I had my doubts when they announced which song he was singing but he was actually pretty darn good except for a few notes. He has really improved over the past few weeks. I am a little concerned that the main line of the chorus of his song was “going down in a blaze of glory”. I hope this does not prove prophetic. Hopefully, Worsters got out the vote.

Jordin: Very gutsy song choice. This Bon Jovi song was so popular it even got a sequel. I thought the beginning was a little rocky but I was impressed with how she handled the chorus. The hair was a little wild but I kind of liked it. That’s what my hair does if I dry it. J

Lakisha: Though this is a singing competition, I would like to start with how she looked… Horrible! I know why she wouldn’t sit down to talk with Ryan. She was afraid her girdle would cut her in half. I didn’t think it was possible to make a Bon Jovi song sound R&B. Obviously, I was wrong. Believe it or not, I enjoyed the beginning before she started yelling. Although, I will admit that this was her best performance since she sang Jennifer Hudson at the beginning of the season.

Blake: My favorite Idol to hate. My first reaction was, “Oh, hell no! He has got to go!” I don’t care how musically talented he thinks he is. “Bad Name” was the most popular song of 1987, the song that launched a 20 year career for Bon Jovi and it deserves more respect that that beat boxing, jacket flapping, bad dance move performance that it got. I don’t care if the judges want to spend all week giving him a tongue bath. This was absolutely heinous. Based on the clip played before the performance, Jon seemed to agree with me. Ugh! And who dyes their hair to match their shirt? Lame!

Chris: I really liked this performance in spite of a few bad notes. He sounds much better (less nasally) when he projects his voice and belts it out. However, there is no excuse for forgetting the most significant line of “Dead or Alive”. Simon seemed determined to pick the Idols tonight. Chris and Phil did not deserve the harsh criticism that he heaped on them. He is obviously trying to steer public opinion to get the result that he wants for the finale.

Prediction: Lakisha would have been eliminated last week if the producers hadn’t decided to play nice for charity. So, I am picking Lakisha and Chris to go home, however, if it was Lakisha and Blake that would be AWESOME!!!!!

DialIdol Results
Safe: Jordin and Blake
In Danger of being sent home: Phil, Melinda, Lakisha and Chris

No comments:

Post a Comment