Search This Blog

Wednesday, May 16, 2007

Idol Rant 5.16.07

This week on Idol the contestants were forced to perform songs chosen by the judges and the producers before singing something they chose for themselves. As usual for the end of the Idol season, Simon has picked his favorites and spent the majority of his airtime trying to swing the public vote. This is why I dislike Simon. He should do what he is paid to do which is judge the performance of each contestant. Yes, Simon we know you want Melinda in the finals. We now know after last night that you want Blake as well. It would serve Simon and the producers right if one of them did win. They might actually sell less records than Taylor Hicks and Reuben Studdard.

Jordin: Despite Simon's crankiness, I thought she did a good job on "Wishing on a Star". I don't understand how he can pick a song for her to sing and then complain about it. I am sure that she did not come up with the arrangement and that the musicians did (probably with suggestions from the producers). On "Hard for the Money", she did well but the song was definitely dated. Of all the songs to choose from, this is what they came up with? Jordin's final performance was of "I Who Have Nothing". This was my second favorite song that she sang all season (after "Broken Wing") and I thought she was absolutely wonderful. Simon definitely doesn't want her in the final so I did my part to make him miserable tonight by voting for Jordin like a demon. I am very glad that she mouthed off to him after her last song.

Blake: "Roxanne" was hideous. He was off key for most of the song and couldn't seem to keep up with the beat. The drop to the knees move at the end was cheesy and what was up with the pointy sideburns? "This Love" contained all of my favorite elements. There was a fake British accent while dancing badly and even some beat boxing. Blake's last song was some horrible mess originally released by Robin Thicke. As we witnessed a few weeks ago on a results show, Robin can't sing. Then again, neither can Blake which he proved last night.

Melinda: Randy, Randy, Randy. Why did you pick "I Believe in You and Me" of all the Whitney songs? While Melinda did a good job and it was good to see her challenged for a change this is definitely not a great Whitney song. She followed this up with "Nutbush City Limits". What? Again, of all the Tina songs this is the best the producers could come up with? She did a great job and I would love to see her try a much better Tina song. For her final number, Melinda chose "I'm A Woman". This was a solid performance and I enjoyed her use of the background singers (and her wink at her background singer past)

Prediction: If there is any justice in the world, Blake will go home tonight. I am a little worried about Jordin though since Simon basically called for her to go.

Dialidol Results:
Melinda = 29.67
Jordin = 27.74
Blake = 27.15


Vote for Joey on Dancing with the Stars!!

No comments:

Post a Comment