Search This Blog

Wednesday, May 23, 2007

Idol Rant 5.23.07

I would like to start by stating that it was painfully obvious that the finale was not going to be as thrilling this year when Melinda was unfairly ousted last week. Melinda versus Jordin would have been an actual competition. With Blake, not so much.

Blake: He started the night with "Bad Name" which as you all know I HATED THE FIRST TIME. It was just as bad this week and was it seemed a lot longer. He followed that up with yet another song from Maroon 5. Last week their lead singer proved that he can't sing so it is appropriate that he loves to perform their songs. Every time he sang "he will..." it was like fingernails on a chalkboard and made my skin crawl. He finished with that sappy tune chosen by the Idol producers for this year, "This Is My Now". Yuck! This showcased his lack of singing ability (even the judges agreed with me). While I will admit that this is definitely not his type of song and therefore a little unfair to him, if he was as unique and talented as all of his fans think he is than he should have found a way to make it work. Beat boxing anyone? Idol contestants from the past had to sing songs that weren't exactly their style but they managed to work through it. I'm sure Bo Bice wasn't thrilled with "Inside your Heaven" but he made it work the best that he could. The difference is that he could actually sing.

Jordin: She started with "Fighter". When they announced that she was performing this I was very afraid. It is hard for most people to take on Christina though she has done it before. I thought she did a great job with it. The judges accused her of shouting but if they have ever listened to a Christina song then they would know that shouting is her style of singing 75% of the time. "Broken Wing" was my favorite performance from her all season and I am glad that she chose this. Yet again she performed it better than the original. Though the beginning of "This is My Now" was a little rough once she hit the chorus she wiped the floor with Blake as I knew she would.

Overall, this year's finale will come down to a battle between a singer and the dialing fingers of teenage girls all over the country. I voted like a demon last night and was not able to get through but about 100 times for Jordin due to busy signals. Hopefully this is a good sign. DialIdol has predicted that Jordin will win. God, please let them be right.

For those of you that watch Dancing with the Stars, Joey lost to Apollo last night. :(

Until next season...

No comments:

Post a Comment