Search This Blog

Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Season 10 - Top 3: The Top 3 Sing 3

Only two weeks of performances left to go in Season 10 and I am getting a little sad that it will all be over soon. This top three is the best that I can remember and I will be a little sad about whoever goes home.  Please pardon the shortened comments this week, I got a late start and have to work in the morning.  Here we go...

Round 1:  They Pick For Themselves

Scotty - "Amazed":  My boy Scotty showed some range with this one that I wasn't sure was in his toolbox.  He got a little drowned out by the "backup" singers during the middle of the song but I am not going to hold that against him because they obviously do not know how to reign it in and back up the lead singer.  They do it to everyone.  This was the first of three strong performances for the night.  Score: A-

Lauren: "Wild One":  Of all the Faith Hill songs, why did Lauren have to pick this one?  She always has a hard time keeping her breath during the fast songs and it was a problem for her with this song.  I know that she can't sing a ballad for every song but there just had to be something that would showcase her more than this like "This Kiss" from Faith or, here is a wild idea, another Miranda Lambert song since she did so well with "Gunpowder & Lead" during the results show last week.  Score: B-

Haley - "What Is and What Should Never Be":   Who knew that Haley was the real rocker this season?  This was absolutely amazing and the fact that she didn't really miss a beat when she fell showed true poise.  To quote Randy, "she is in it to win it baby!".  Score:  A+

Round 1 Winner:  Haley

Round 2:  Jimmy Iovine is the Man when it comes to picking songs!

Scotty- "Are You Gonna Kiss Me or Not?":  I will admit that I was very doubtful when they announced the song that Jimmy had picked for Scotty but I shouldn't have worried.  It was an absolutely perfect pick for him.  He showed more talent in this one song that he has all season.  I can't wait to download it.  I must disagree with Jennifer about Scotty's hair though.  He looks much better now than during his Short Hair Don't Care days.  I hope he leaves it alone.  Score: A+

Lauren - "If I Die Young":  Another great pick by Jimmy that fit Lauren perfectly.  It was going really well until she flubbed the middle and then she seemed to be trying to make up for it with a little over singing which just seemed like screaming to me.  Score for the first half: A  Score for the whole song: B+ 

Haley - "Rhiannon":  Haley was completely channelling Stevie Nicks during her performance though I was a little concerned that she was going to be blown off stage by the wind machines.  If the choruses had been in full voice and not reserved and soft then she would have taken Scotty in this round as well.  Despite her loss, this was still really, really good.  Score: A

Round 2 Winner:  Scotty

Round 2.1:  Beyonce video that went on for so long that they had to cut it off for a commercial break and then felt the need to keep reminding us that we could watch it online.  No, thank you.   Score: F
Round 2.1 Loser:  Beyonce.  She is better than this God awful song.  Leave this to the "artists" that can't actually sing, Beyonce, like Ke$ha.  You are better than this.

Round 3:  Judges' Pick

Scotty - "She Believes in Me":  I believe in Scotty and that he is in it to win it!  ;)   He really came together this week to deliver three solid performances and this was the icing on the cake.  This was tender, heartfelt and sung perfectly.  Score: A

Lauren - "I Hope You Dance":  Lauren did a really good job with this one but it felt really karaoke to me.  I think that it may have been the dress and the "pageant" feel to the production that was throwing me off.  She did a good job with the singing but I am just saying...  Score: A-
Haley - "You Oughta Know":  I am going to ignore the start of the song since they made her sing the generic lyrics that make no sense at all.  Once she got past the first couple of lines, it was a slam dunk.  Her growl is perfect for the anthem for women done wrong.  Score: A

Round 3 Winner:  Haley

Should Be Top 2:  Scotty and Haley
Will Be Top 2: Scotty and Lauren

No comments:

Post a Comment