Search This Blog

Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Season 10 - Top 4: Inspirational & Leiber/Stoller Meet Gaga

I contemplated muting all judges comments this week after the 'Haley Fiasco' from last week but against better judgement I decided to give them one more try.  I am such a silly girl.  Jennifer and Randy are dead to me (though JLo looked like she may have had a little extra life given to her upper lip this week).  I am not interested in anything that they have to say after this week.  I am giving Steven a pass because, even though he is usually ineffective and uninspired, he championed the underdog and earned my gratitude.  As I sit to write this, I find myself filled with a cynical bitter distaste for the judges and the show.  Please forgive me.

Round 1 (Inspiration Songs)

James - "Don't Stop Believing":  I thought this was a hot mess.  It was overly screechy, pitchy and very uneven.  Of course, the useless judges thought it was the "indication of what was yet to come".  Was it just me or was James a little over confident this week?  Actually, I thought he was down right cocky to the point that he made Adam Lambert seem somewhat modest and you all know how much I "loved" Screech.  He is walking a very thin line with me.

Haley - "Earthsong":  I am not going to say that this was as good as "House of the Rising Sun" was last week but it was better than James' first or second song and she was completely mistreated by the judges.  Simon had a reputation for being mean but I don't know that he was ever as mean to a contestant as the tag team of Randy and JLo were tonight.  Randy then felt the need to deal just one more blow when he announced that every performance from round 1 was the best except for Haley.  I know that the judges are pushing to make sure that Haley does not disrupt their vision for the final three and, after this, I honestly think Haley will be better off when she gets sent home tomorrow.  She needs to go before the judges can cause permanent damage.  This is who they are casting stones at?!?!?!  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=035GStnLOaI

Scotty - "Where Were You":  I am not going to say that this was a flawless performance but it was really darn good.  Scotty is better without the backup singers so he should nix them for all future shows.  I know that Scotty is going to coast to a win but he would actually be better off to just let James have it so that he can escape the drivel that will be the "winning" song and put out an album free of the stank that is songs written by Ryan Tedder and Kara DioGuardi.

Lauren - "Anyway":  Just as it was written, little Lauren came out of her shell tonight to finally hit the big notes.  She did a really good job with the song which would have been even more impressive if the producers hadn't come up with this poor little Lauren storyline a few weeks back.  Now I just felt like I was being manipulated, because I/we was/were, which took all the joy out of it.

Round 1 Winner:  Scotty
Round 1 Loser:  James

Round 2 (Lieber & Stoller)

Haley - "I Who Have Nothing":  This song belonged to Jordin Sparks for me before tonight.  Now, it belongs to Haley.  She had the "moment" of the week again this week.  Of course, it doesn't matter because she is going home tomorrow.  This was a perfect swan song for her and the perfect fit for her place in the competition as the lonely contestant that gets no love.

Scotty - "Young Blood":  There was nothing funnier than Scotty's interaction with Gaga.  I think he may have been a little scared.  ;)  There was nothing wrong with the vocal performance.  He hit all the notes but the whole thing seemed a little over-the-top corny to me.  I still love him but I am just saying...

Lauren - "Trouble":  This was a solid performance.  It didn't really require a lot vocally but Lauren was able to bring more confidence than she usually shows.  Lauren is much better when singing than during her interview packages.  She should sing more and talk less.

James - "Love Potion #9":  ...or more of the same from Round 1.  Screeching?  Check.  Wonky notes?  Check.  Huge production?  Check.  So, if you weren't convinced that the powers that be DEMAND that James be in the final three then you need look no further than tonight's episode where he not only got to start and end the show but both were huge productions and they even let him get away with the God awful glory noting at the end of this song.  I am now officially over him.

Round 2 Winner: Haley
Round 2 Loser: James

Should Go Home:  James
Will Go Home:  Haley

No comments:

Post a Comment