Search This Blog

Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Season 10 Finale

So, here we are at the bittersweet conclusion to what was, in the end, a revival for the Idol franchise which looked dead a year ago.  There were still bumps in the road but my faith was restored enough that I am excited to see the show crank up again next winter.  By this point, I think most people have already decided who they want to win it all and I doubt that any performance from this evening will change any minds.  I may be imagining things but didn't they make a big deal out of the fact that Taio Cruz was participating in some sort of songwriting competition that would be the coronation song at the end of the season?  If so, I guess they smartly decided that Taio wouldn't have anything that Scotty or Lauren would be interested in.

Scotty:  Scotty showed lots of character by deferring to Lauren even though he won the toss to determine performance order.  To pay him back for his kindness, the producers made sure that the judges heaped so much praise upon Lauren that it was easy to see who they hope pulls out the win for the Season.  I am confident that little girls all over the country will make sure that Uncle Nigel does not get what he was wishing for, however.   Scotty sang "Gone", "Check Yes or No", and "I Love You This Big".  "Gone" was much better the first time he sang it, however, it was still a solid performance.  "Check Yes or No" was a pick by George Strait and I am not sure that it did Scotty any favors.  This was the first time that Scotty seemed nervous while singing all season.  Luckily for Scotty, Lauren fared no better.  "I Love You This Big" is not an overly complex song but it's simple message will touch his audience and get out their votes.  It was very sweet that both of Scotty's parents were crying during his performance.

Lauren:   Lauren started the evening with Ryan pointing out that she had blown a vocal chord during rehearsals.  Lauren sang "Flat on the Floor, "Maybe it was Memphis" and "Like My Mother Does".  "Flat on the Floor" was not my favorite the first time around and my opinion on it didn't improve tonight.  Much like George Strait, Carrie Underwood didn't really do Lauren any favors with her pick of "Maybe it was Memphis" for Lauren either.  I am not a fan of the song and I was not impressed by Lauren's singing of it either.  "Like My Mother Does" was designed to tug the heartstrings and get out the vote.  Though it was just as hokey as Scotty's song, it was better written and gave Lauren an advantage in the final round.  Unfortunately for her, Scotty has had a stronghold on this competition all season and I don't think he has any intention of giving it up now.

Did everyone see my favorite Idol, David Cook, at the end?  LOVED IT!  :)

Who will win?:  No shock this season.  Scotty will take this one hands down.

No comments:

Post a Comment