Search This Blog

Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Top 10 - Soul and R&B

The painful saga that is Season 9 continues with Soul/R&B Hits. Some of you have written to say that you are giving up on on this season of Idol. I am starting to think that I should join you and find a life on Tuesday nights. If not for Crystal Bowersox (and Lee/Good Siobhan), then I wouldn't be bothering at this point. If she doesn't win then there is no justice in the world.

Siobhan Magnus: ("Through The Fire" - Chaka Khan) I don't know what has happened to Siobhan. She continued her downward slide this week. It was boring and contained 1 1/2 unnecessary primal screams. Simon was dead on with his initial analysis of her performance. He pushed it a little too far in the end though and I felt sorry for her.

Casey James: ("Hold On I'm Coming" - Sam and Dave) To me, Casey seems to enjoy playing the guitar more than singing. Since he is not the best singer this makes sense. He is one of the stronger contestants this season but he wouldn't be if he had auditioned in Season 5 or 7 where the talent pool was larger. I wonder why the judges haven't asked him to put down the guitar like they did with Crystal?

Michael Lynche: ("Ready for Love" - India.Arie) India.Arie is perfect for Michael. Wonderful job picking a song. He was so much better this week. Strong vocal without the hated/dreaded falsetto AND playing the guitar kept him from making those corny gestures while he sings. My favorite performance from him so far in the competition.

Didi Benami: ("What Becomes of the Brokenhearted?" - Jimmy Ruffin) It was not a bad vocal performance but Didi never seems to really connect with the audience while she is singing. She is just blank when on stage. Hopefully she can turn it around.

Tim Urban: ("Sweet Love" - Anita Baker) Good grief it was bad! He kept singing about knowing no shame and he obviously doesn't if he can get up in front of millions of people and sing this song with his meager vocal abilities. He is so cheesy. VFTW, please don't save him this week (even he wants to go home at this point)!

Andrew Garcia: ("Forever" - Chris Brown) The best Andrew has been since the competition started but I agree with Simon that he is still boring.

Katie Stevens: ("Chain of Fools" - Aretha Franklin) The singing was technically not bad but it was once again boring and her outfit was insanely bad. I always feel like I am watching the talent portion of a beauty pageant when she is on stage. This season is so not good.

Lee DeWyze: ("Treat Her Like A Lady" - Cornelius Brothers) I have always been a Lee fan but he really surprised me tonight. I was starting to think that he would never get it all together. He was at his best so far this week.

Crystal Bowersox: ("Midnight Train to Georgia" - Gladys Knight) I prefer Crystal with a guitar but she was one of the best once again. I also agree with Simon that the backup singers shouldn't have been used. They were not necessary.

Aaron Kelly: ("Aint No Sunshine" - Bill Withers) Aaron should have picked another song. This did not come across well and it was done much better just last season by Kris Allen.

The Best
Lee, Crystal

The Worst
Tim, Siobhan

The Rest
Casey, Aaron, Didi, Andrew, Katie, Michael

No comments:

Post a Comment